Gathered Goods Marketplace
You'll find an incredible selection of retro chic items at the Gathered Goods Marketplace! All proceeds from our online auctions benfit the life changing programs of CARITAS.
SHOP THE LATEST AUCTION HERE!
Preview Day: September 6, 1-4 pm
Closing: September 6, 6pm
Pick Up: Friday, Sept 9, 10am- 2pm + Saturday, Sept. 10, 9 am-12pm
We’ve partnered with RVA Auctions as a part of our commitment to remain good stewards of your support. We hope this online auction will help us efficiently and effectively use our staff resources to raise important funds for CARITAS. Items are donated by wonderful CARITAS supporter like you! Home to home, heart to heart.
We currently do not have any scheduled sales at our normal location.
Gathered Goods Marketplace FAQs
What is the CARITAS Gathered Goods Marketplace?
- The CARITAS Gathered Goods Marketplace is a place to find a wide variety of items like china cabinets, collectibles, office furniture, art, books, mirrors, and more at bargain prices. Shoppers get a great deal, and CARITAS uses the proceeds to serve more of our most vulnerable neighbors. Currenlty, we are exploring holding an online auction. Stay tuned for more details. Previously, marketplaces are typically held on the first Friday of each month from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on the third Wednesday from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Well, how does the Furniture Bank work?
- Generous community members like you donate their gently-used furniture and household goods to the CARITAS Furniture Bank. Those goods are then redistributed to clients in need on the verge of homelessness or just moving into a permanent living situation.
- More than 90 social services agencies and case managers have established referral partnerships with the CARITAS Furniture Bank. Each client who comes through the Furniture Bank has been referred by a partner.
- A client sets up an appointment to shop with a trained volunteer who will guide the “shopper” through the Furniture Bank. Together, they pick out essential furniture for the client’s new home. The amount the client receives depends on the size of the household and the availability of items at the Furniture Bank.
- Learn more about the CARITAS Furniture Bank by watching our video.
So, if you redistribute sets of furniture, how can customers buy the unique items you have in the Gathered Goods Marketplace?
- Items end up in the Marketplace because clients didn’t need them or couldn’t use them. Before the Gathered Goods Marketplace, CARITAS disposed of these items or gave them away to other organizations to sell.
- We do not sell essential items. That is our commitment to our clients and our supporters. The proceeds from the nonessential items that we do sell go directly to supporting the mission of CARITAS. So, the sale of nonessential items in our Marketplace still directly benefits the clients.
Hold on! What is CARITAS?
- CARITAS is the largest homeless services provider in the greater Richmond area. Through its four programs, CARITAS works to break the cycles of homelessness and addiction in our community.
You mean it’s more than just the Shelter program?
- The Shelter program has been operating for 27 years and provides emergency shelter for up to 120 individuals a night. The Furniture Bank receives donated furniture and essential household items and distributes them to clients in need. The CARITAS Works program is a job-readiness training program for men facing barriers to employment that teaches them how to get a job and keep a job. The Healing Place has been a program of CARITAS since 2012 and is a long-term addiction recovery program for homeless men with sobriety rates rivaling private facilities.
Items donated to the CARITAS Furniture Bank will be given directly to clients and used to further the mission of CARITAS.