Drivers for CARITAS Furniture Bank
As part of the AmeriCorps and CARITAS family you will help transform lives by providing service to those moving through crisis toward stability. Members in the Furniture Bank program will serve as part of a cohesive team to provide furniture assistance to those moving from a housing crisis while mentoring interns from CARITAS Works and engaging volunteers to enrich our Furniture Bank efforts.
- Work in Warehouse to receive donations and inventory items as directed by Warehouse Manager
- Assist volunteers on shoppers to ensure a positive experience
- Provide delivery and pick up services up to 6 households per day acting as a community ambassador for the CARITAS Furniture Bank.
- Act as role models for the students in the CARITAS Works program.
- Supervise Works interns and volunteers as directed by the Warehouse Manager.
- Learn and exercise safety measures in the warehouse and serve as a role model for volunteers
- Route pick-ups using Google in accordance with program parameters.
- Complete Daily truck log and weekly truck maintenance.
- Heat treat furniture as it enters the warehouse; drive air brake truck.
- Work open Saturdays as need to delivery or supervise volunteer projects.
- Act as a rotating member of the Laundry Team to perform laundry service and make deliveries of cots and linens on Saturdays to support the Shelter operations.
- Diligently keep inventory number of what comes in and what goes out of warehouse
Skills Needed: Drivers license; honesty and integrity; positive, teachable attitude, follows directions; desire to work as part of a team for the greater good; Ability to lift 75+ pounds; ability to make a field based decision based on the values of the agency; good sense of direction a plus. We are an inclusive project site.
As an AmeriCorps member you will provide at least 35 hours of Direct Service each week and be required to complete all training during the service year. All training sessions are mandatory!
This is an AmeriCorps half time position:
Contract hours: 900 hours of service Average 35 Hours/wk – approximately 8-4 m-th and 8-3 f and one Saturday a month. (Other times at discretion of Warehouse Manager.)
Service Dates: between March 2017 and August 2017 With possible contract renewal for additional 6 months.
Stipend Paid: $7200 Distributed in equal bi-monthly payments throughout contract period.
Educational Award: $2865 This will be awarded upon successful completion of the service term. This education grant can be used for any accredited program in Virginia or transferred to an immediate family member if you are over 55 at the start of your service contract.